292 - La Vie En Rose


La Vie En Rose

✿  ✿  ✿

"You are beautiful, but you are empty," he went on. "One could not die for you. To be sure, an ordinary passerby would think that my rose looked just like you--the rose that belongs to me. But in herself alone she is more important than all the hundreds of you other roses: because it is she that I have watered; because it is she that I have put under the glass globe; because it is she that I have sheltered behind the screen; because it is for her that I have killed the caterpillars (except the two or three that we saved to become butterflies); because it is she that I have listened to, when she grumbled, or boasted, or ever sometimes when she said nothing. Because she is my rose."

✿  ✿  ✿


✿  ✿  ✿


✿  ✿  ✿


✿  ✿  ✿

Shot this way back at the beginning of June holidays before my second round of common tests - and phew, just finished prelims. Time passes fast.

This was my painstakingly created paper dress - entirely made from paper, from the base to each of the individual roses which were glued on then painted (very very, painful and late night process) - that I created in the 2 or 3 weeks leading up to the show on a whim, for the theme of "painting the white roses red". I've been toying with the idea of a dress littered with flowers since last year, and this was a simpler and easier method I picked to do it. Velcro for the back, a bit of stitching for the body, and a whole lot of glue gunning and finger burning.

Big thanks to all my friends who chipped in little bits like helping me cut roses and petals during class and gluing them together during rehearsals - this wasn't even complete till 2 or 3 days before the show. Absolutely proud of it, and blessed that my good friend and model Thalia could shoot in it for me.

Fun fact: makeup (what makeup?) and red 'eyeliner' is actually part of a Chanel lipstick sample that we got when passing by their publicity booth in Ion HAHA. We had to keep reapplying it because the heat was honestly unbearable and the lighting way too harsh for my liking. (Also, mosquitoes) (Also, two man shoots are extremely tiring)

But yes I will always treasure this dress (even though I can't bring it home because I have no mannequin for it to stand on and no place to store it) even though the bodice has been a bit ripped up from sweat and moisture HAHAHA. It's so artificial, stark and rigid that I think it actually possesses a degree of "artistic fantasy" about it.

Photographer Elizabeth Lim
Model Thalia Lee
Dress Elizabeth Lim
Shoes Charles & Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment